Monday, January 21, 2008

"27 Dresses"

I saw "27 Dresses" on Friday... for free, which might have something to do with my opinion, but nonetheless... I liked it. A lot.

Katherine Heigl was charming as the slightly crazed, over the top, wedding obsessed perpetual bridesmaid. Most of the film was predictable romantic comedy fodder that we've seen a hundred times before. But so what? As I said in my earlier thoughts, the repetition and dependability are part of what I like about romantic comedies. You can go to a movie and know that someone, somehow, is going to either fall in love, or get over that love that they've been moping about. Either way, it's dependable, and if the writers are smart, it works.

"27 Dresses" was a charming movie that wasn't sexist, homophobic, or elitist. That's really all I ask for these days. Aside from that, though, the dialogue was actually funny, the characters relatively well defined, and aside from Heigl's floral shirts, the clothing was great. The plot is similar to "My Best Friend's Wedding," "The Object of my Affection" and a bunch of other movies - Heigl's character can't find love, friendship, or true happiness until she learns to let go of an unrequited crush and think for herself for once. I have to say that I really liked this plot device. Granted, the ending is cheesy and expected, but I liked the overall character arc.

Judy Greer was great (as always) as the snarky best friend, Edward Burns was, well, Edward Burns, and James Marsden looked like he needed a shower.

No comments: