Saturday, February 21, 2009

Enterainment Weekly on modern chick flicks

Lisa Schwarzbaum totally says it better than I can, but I thought that since her recent feature in EW was all about my namesake, it was worth a mention here.

I couldn't find a link to it on the website, but in last week's print issue of EW, Lisa Schwarzbaum wrote a feature about the state of modern "chick flicks."

I pretty much agreed with her that women grasped onto these movies in the first place because they featured smart, interesting women who we wanted to be like. They had a professional goal, or were genuinely looking for love and friendship, or had strong ties to their families, or were charmingly clumsy in ways we could relate to. Nowadays, she says, movies like Bride Wars, Shopaholic, He's Just..., etc., are making women shallower than ever, and turning them into creatures that we can't relate to anymore, because no women are actually like that.

I liked her take, and thought it was an interesting assessment.

No comments: