Friday, October 02, 2009

Brandi Carlile: Rock Star Edition

I apologize in advance that this is yet another post about Brandi Carlile. I'm sorry, I can't help it - I am once again amazed by that voice of hers, among other things. Her new album, titled "Give Up the Ghost" will be released on Tuesday, and she's currently on yet another tour to promote the album.

Last spring, I wrote about the quiet intimacy of the acoustic shows. These current shows are anything but... in a good way. A really good way. I didn't realize how much I missed the drums and electric guitars until they were taken away and then put back. When I first discovered Brandi, back in 2007, I went to a show much like these recent ones - full band, glitzy lighting, bigger venue. I fell in love with the fact that despite her songs being more on the folksy side, she plays like a rock star. A rock star with a fierce growl and raw sexiness.

Last night, she rocked Northampton, MA, reminding us all of why we fell in love with her in the first place. The set list included some old, old favorites off the first album, like "What Can I Say" and "Happy"; some sing along hits from The Story, like, uh, "The Story," "Turpentine," and hidden track "Hiding My Heart"; and tons of stuff from the new album, like rockers "Dreams" and "Pride and Joy," and acoustic turns with "That Year" and "Dying Day." There was an acoustic section, too, for those of you who missed the acoustic tour.

But the best part about it was that rock concert feel. The band has a new drummer for this tour, Allison Miller, who kicks ass on the drums and makes every song sound better and more intense. The addition of the drums and electric guitars to songs I'd only heard acoustic made them sound like whole new songs, and allowed the band to play old favorites that just can't be done right acoustically. I really can't describe the energy Brandi exudes on stage. It's amazing how much different she sounds than the recorded albums; I always find it unbelievable how an album with so much quiet introspection can sound like arena rock when played live. I like my girls with guitars, but I like them even better when they're slamming on their electric guitars. And when Brandi does that thing on the guitar which has been dubbed and can only be described as "guitar sex," every audience member, no matter their sexual preference, falls instantly in lust.

What's more is that no matter how many times I've seen this woman play a concert, I'm always taken aback at the beginning of the show by how striking her voice is. Last night, Brandi and the band took the stage quietly, and after stopping themselves from giggling over the enthusiasm of the crowd, launched into "Oh Dear" - a song from the new album in which they all stand around one mic and breathe harmonies reminiscent of an old country-roots song. I was struck once again at the sound of her voice, that clear-as-a-bell meets sexy-growl thing that hits you right in the gut, and doesn't stop for two more hours.

Tonight she plays at the House of Blues in Boston, across the street from where the Red Sox are making their way into the playoffs (or maybe they're already in the playoffs... I really don't know, I just know I was warned about the traffic). In this town, that's hard to compete with, but I'm sure she'll emerge victorious. I invited some friends who have never seen her play before... I can't wait to hear what they'll say.

No comments: