Friday, October 30, 2009

This week's TV rundown

You'd think I could come up with some kind of consistency for this blog, like doing a TV rundown every Friday and a music review every Saturday. Maybe one day, I'll remember to do that. For now, though here are my thoughts on the multiple shows I caught up on at the end of this week.

1. "So You Think You Can Dance": First of all, this screwy schedule with baseball is really confusing. Wait, it's on a Monday? And there is no results show? Wha? Otherwise, though, I liked Monday's performance show, and I actually thought it was a good idea to introduce us to all of the contestants. Of course, by Tuesday, I had already forgotten who was who, but at least they tried. I love all the tappers, especially... oh crap I forgot her name already - the girl one. I have to say, though, I have no idea what happened with Mia or where she went, but her absence is definitely noticeable. As annoying as she is, she really made the show fun to watch, in that yelling at the TV screen sort of way, and her choreography was a standout - it's absence makes the show lack something.

I would love to talk about the individual routines, but either I was trying too hard to finish homework while I was watching it, or nothing really stood out for me. I loved the tap routine. As far as dancers are concerned, I was taken with Billy, but I guess his stint was short lived... I kind of like that annoyingly perky Mollee - she reminds me a little of Allison from the second season.

By the time I got to Tuesday's elimination show, I was already weary from trying to keep track of everybody. I'm sure I will forget all about the people who were eliminated by the end of the season. I've always said that maybe this show could benefit from not having the results show, which I usually fast forward my way through. But this week's one-two punch of "dance, dance some solos, and... you're done" was just a little too much for me to follow.

2. Comedies: "Modern Family" and "30 Rock": I'm really beginning to like "Modern Family." It's funny, and it has heart, but not too much. Also, I'm a sucker for Julie Bowen - I've loved to watch her ever since she started guest starring everywhere, and her role as Carol on "Ed" will always stick out in my mind. I find her irresistible no matter who she's playing. I'm also consistently impressed that Cameron and Mitchell get their own storyline, even if their childcare antics are ripped off from "Friends" and every other TV show ever. (I couldn't help but go "Monica bang!" when they bumped the kid's head on the ceiling the exact same way that Monica did with Ben during the second season of "Friends".) As for "30 Rock," it's always funny. I love how well the writers know their characters - in Liz's argument with Jack about what makes an American, they always said exactly what you would expect them to. (I'm still laughing about Jack calling the President "Comrade Obama" from like, 3 weeks ago.)

3. "Grey's Anatomy": I liked watching Derek's thought process, even though this episode was total filler/time killer until the ladies come back from their movies and maternity leaves. I'm also glad they gave Derek something to do, and I'm glad we got to see him being a doctor again. I feel like this show so often gets caught up in it's own navel gazing that we sometimes forget that these people are doctors, and that they probably spend all day doing what Derek did last night, and not fighting with their fathers who just dropped in to the hospital. I fell in love with Derek (not in a McDreamy way, in a "he's an interesting character" way) in the first season because he seemed like such a talented, charismatic doctor. I'm glad we got to see him doctoring again. And that bit towards the end where the others were all sitting in the "peanut gallery", Cristina narrating on the phone to Meredith and Arizona hiding her eyes was really cute.

By the way, though... who the hell is Isaac?

I'm interested to see how they're going to get themselves out of this Izzie thing. We know she's coming back, so where on earth could she be that would make it plausible for her to come back? And while we're on the subject, the Chief firing everyone is getting old. Chief, if you fire everyone, no one is going to take you seriously anymore. See? Even Derek knows you don't mean it. I liked Arizona successfully guarding the door, too - she finally has a modicum of personality. (And no, I don't count her story about where she got her name from as "personality." We get it, you have a weird name. Who cares?)

Re: the new people. I still think they need to stop adding characters to this show and just be nicer to the old ones. But, I kind of like Lainie (or whatever her name is on this show) from Everwood, despite the fact that she's kind of a better version of Lexie (who I still can't stand). And, does it bother anyone else that the new guy, the one who got the surgery over Lexie, looks kind of like Alex? Speaking of Alex, he totally is a douche. But I still love him. Last thought - I really never want Cristina being my doctor. She has become completely one-note too. We know from previous seasons that she really does care about more than winning the competitions and getting the best surgeries. I'm sick of her insensitivity, it's like whoever's writing this keeps referring to the pilot script and going, "Oh yeah, Cristina is the competitive one," as if they forgot who their characters are.

4. No Wednesday TV this week. Stupid baseball.

No comments: